Thursday, November 19, 2009

A Small Venture

The sun finally showed up after a week of constant drizzling, and the blue skies were more than inviting. “Here’s a day to be spent outside”, decided I and undertook a task I had long been thinking about – cleaning a little square in front of our house. (Notably, there is a container to be found at the corner, yet the rubbish has a unique tendency to bypass it.)


With a bucket in hand and selfless thoughts of preserving our beautiful Earth, I commenced scanning the little grassy area to and fro. With the bucket No. 10 I stopped counting. The funds were not spectacular. And my dog kept on finding delicacies of bony substance even after the mission was over.


Some neighbourhood kids were hanging around. I shyly lifted my head to greet them and carried on my humble venture. As it is proper for a solitary hero, I didn’t request help. Yet out of the blue comes one teenager, takes his jacket off and eagerly starts piling all the trimmed grape vines. Later, his friend shows up and adds to the company. The professor living across the street (the only person I had earlier observed cleaning somebody else’s mess) joins the crowd as well. Now we attract not just the looks, but even the comments of the passer-by’s. Eventually even a local “bad boy,” who doesn’t do much throughout the day except for lingering and the selected corners of our block, grabs the shovel and gets to work.


I left smiling. Looking from our window, the square doesn’t seem any cleaner, yet unsolicited help made my day. I should venture out more often.

1 comment:

Glenn R Stose said...

Hi Sean, Excellent report. Signs of the frame of mind and spiritual condition of the souls of these people. Downtrodden, feeling worthless, valueless, discouraged, no one cares. You get the picture. So while you were demonstrating that you cared by your actions. The Holy Spirit was working the crowd. You know how He does, whispering in their ears positive and beautiful things. Not like they had been hearing as our enemy the devil whispered death and hopelessness in their ears for as long as they can remember. Told them they were worthless and no one cared about them. And then here comes Sean. What in the world is he doing? Does he care? And the Holy Spirit begins to witness about you to each individual in the crowd. And He begins to heal their spiritual vision and they see something many of them have never seen. The Glory of the Lord shining through you. And they are attracted to the light and they come closer and begin to work so they can stay close to the light. And the Holy Spirit ministers to them. Seeds are planted, barriers begin to come down, hearts begin to become tender, just a little at first as they begin to fall in Love with Jesus. footnote: This is how Jesus attracted me. His glory shown through a young woman and I instantly fell in love with what I had been searching for all my life. At first I thought it was the girl. But after a few weeks, after I had asked Jesus to save me, He showed me it was Him I was seeking. Not the girl. I will agree with you prayerfully for all these you mentioned. A door has begun to open to their salvation. It's like getting a very shy child to trust you. It takes time. In the fullness of time they will be called to Jesus by their Heavenly Father who loves them. Indeed you should venture out more often. Maybe check out the Professor. Acknowledge the "bad boy" we should change his name to? Take Vika so they can see genuine love that most of them have never experienced. And don't forget to ask the Holy Spirit to join you. He is an excellent witness and gives testimony and credibility of you to the crowd. Have much success, Glenn