Saturday, March 21, 2009

Where Did The Trees Go?


I am not any sort of an environmentalist, but I love the nature. I try not to trash it, but I don’t plant any trees. Nevertheless, the thought has crossed my mind numerous times since I moved to Albania. Coming from a very green country of Lithuania (they taught us at school, that the forests comprise 30%), I take greenery for granted. Thus my eye searches for it even in the rocky terrain of Albania.

Leaving the climatic and geological considerations aside (I cannot boast much knowledge here anyways), it is obvious that some of the tall greenery is gone. But where and how? So far, I could pinpoint two reasons. One is of human origin, the other one is of worm origin.

First, people mercilessly hack trees for firewood. Most households, us included, use firewood for heating. I don’t think it’s much fun to spend a whole day deep in the mountains for a mule-load of firewood. But what can one do? Unemployment is soaring, and winters are cold. So here I started thinking of some sort of reforestation programme.

Second, people have cut a lot of trees during the Communist times to expand their fields. Agriculture in Albania can be tricky – 70% of the country is rugged mountains. But the communists had their own ways, and all over Albania you will see terraced mountain slopes (now I wonder, did Enver Hoxha learn from Mao experts or vice versa?). Fair enough. One needs to grow his own food when the country is surrounded by an iron wall of ideology.

I cannot be angry with the people, as I consider these two reasons economical. But I can surely be angry with the second destroyer of the trees - the Thaumetopoea pityocampa parasites (or pine processionary caterpillars; some knowledgeable people have written about pretty stunning behaviour of this pest) that build silvery nests in the few remaining pine trees, happily feed on them and finally destroy them. After a little bit of research I found out, that various species of insects can destroy the pest. Or the trees can be sprayed. But I have also read that the governments in the Mediterranean region have spent millions on fighting these bugs and the results have not been as satisfactory as expected. So here I started thinking of some sort of “good insect” raising and releasing programme.

While I keep on thinking, the forests in Albania keep on shrinking.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am very sad to hear about shrinking trees. we all should donate for the green world.