Monday, May 08, 2006

MAY 2006 NEWSLETTER

MAY 2006

What is your preferred sound or song to wake up to in the morning? Since 2001 I have been living in the predominately Muslim capital city of Tirane where the sounds of the Muslim call to prayer ring out over loudspeakers all over the city 5 times each day. You never really get used to hearing this call to prayer especially at sunrise each morning!

Now that I have moved to the predominately Orthodox city of Korce, I am delighted to wake up to the sound of church bells (and they don’t start as soon as the sun rises either!), although, they are quite loud, as they are literally about 50 feet away from my bedroom window (our house is located on the side of one of the major Orthodox churches in the city).

Upon returning to Albania in mid-March I immediately moved to Korce (located in southeast Albania) and began my new job as director of our church ministry that sponsors 200 of the “poorest of the poor” in the Korce region. Each day I visit many families, bringing them food, clothes and I PRAY a little more hope to live each day. Although this job has great joys and satisfaction, it has proven to be quite emotionally draining as well. It is not easy to visit these extremely poor families day in and day out and not be affected by their condition.

In just the short time that I have been involved with this ministry, there are numerous stories I could tell you. One in particular that has blessed me greatly is about a widow named Violca, and her two young daughters, Panorea and Blisena (see picture in blog post BELOW). Less than a year ago, Violca’s husband passed away. As I was visiting her and her daughters I asked if they go to church. She proceeded to explain to me that she and her family were Muslim but don’t practice it much. I explained to her about Jesus Christ and how our church was not just another “religious service,” but a place where she could come and be encouraged and find real hope and a reason to live. I invited them to church and to my surprise they have been coming for 2 weeks! Please PRAY for Violca that she will realize all that Jesus has done for her and that she will choose to live for Him and lead her children to Him.

Making the move to Korce has proven to be a great experience and new place of learning and training. In addition to leading this project I also am regularly involved in helping lead our church, the Emanuel Mission. I have joined 3 of the other church leaders and we each take a turn preaching once a month.

We just celebrated Easter, held one week after the date in which the West celebrates Easter (we follow the Orthodox calendar in Albania). We had the extreme joy of seeing 3 new people accept Jesus Christ as their personal Savior! In Albania, choosing to follow Jesus is usually a very slow process, thus each time a person makes this decision it is an extremely treasured moment for us.

Please continue to PRAY for me in this time of adjustment and learning to work in a new area. PRAY that I will have wisdom to make proper decisions in regards to the project I am leading as well as wisdom in how to team-lead the church here!

Thanks to each of you for your commitment to Albania and the work I am involved in.

Much Love!

2 comments:

beth smith said...

Hi there Sean,
I came accross your blog. I'm going to be coming to Albania. I first visited in 1999, for 9 months in a town called Lezhe, and wanted to stay faithful to the country somehow - so kept it in my heart and stayed open to God's leading. I've joined a mission called WEC, and will be going to Albania in the summer - initially for 3 years. I thought I would be living in Tirane to begin with, but just yesterday I was told that I would be living in a village called Sheqeras. I never thought I would be so quickly involved in village life! I'll be learning language and adapting to culture - but my real hope, alongside being with a small church planting team, is to learn as much as I can about children at risk in Albania, and tell their story. God is good, and I'm grateful that He has given this opportunity and burden to me. So I came accross your blog while looking up Korce and Sheqeras. There are no photos of Sheqeras on google!! Anyway - God bless, was an encouragement to read where your heart is over there and that God has lead people to care about Albania. Maybe see you in Korce one day!!
Beth

Anonymous said...

He Sjaak!
How are you doing?
Great to read your weblog, and the things you are doing now in Albania. Just know, that we pray for you, and that we think a lot of you and your work!
Well, greetings, and a big big hug... The question remains.. when do you come to visit us? ;)